Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Sam's Diner - Holley, NY

My Favorite Local Diners

Small, locally owned diners dot the landscape here in Western NY.  They seem to be everywhere.  Many of them are very good, while there are others, not so much.  I've made a point of trying just about all of them in my travels over the years and as a result can say without question there are a select few that truly stand out above the rest.  These are the places I eat at whenever the opportunity arises and would not hesitate to recommend you try them as well.  In no particular order......



Sam's Diner - Holley, NY

One of the things I enjoy most about our Facebook Contests that are "foodie" related is reading the rave reviews from everyone, rooting for their favorite place to eat whatever we happen to be featuring, especially the ones I previously was unaware of.  It was during our recent "tell us about your favorite place to go for a fish fry" contest that I learned of "Sam's Diner" so we went for breakfast one morning and found out for ourselves why everyone was so adamant about the place.  It is located in the middle of the village of Holley at 55 Public Square, which is just off route 31.  They are open seven days a week, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner from an incredibly large and varied menu.  

There is nothing quite like a great diner breakfast and I was not disappointed.  As soon as our very pleasant waitress brought my teeming plate it didn't take long for me to know I had found a new favorite to add to my short diner list.  Eggs over easy as ordered, check.  Quality breakfast sausages, check ("Brown & Serve" are a huge no-no).  Correctly prepared hash browns or home fries (my wife ordered them), check.  Krista's bacon was also very good, crispy and delicious!  On a return visit several weeks later I tried one of their ham and cheese omelettes with a side order of home fries, another success.  I'm hoping for the trifecta of yummy breakfast foods the next time we go and will be ordering their corned beef hash.        

No comments:

Post a Comment